I have a internal wall in an very old cottage dating 1860 the internal walls appear to be plastered and in one section of one wall (lower half) historically the plaster cracks and falls off  leaving some kind of render underneath showing.  I think this is due to some small amount of dampness in the wall creating a failure and wondered if a lime based product could be used in this metre square section if I remove the plaster and brush the surface down to remove loose dust can I apply some kind of lime plaster that will adhere to the wall and plaster in the upper section of the wall?  Will this possible allow the wall to breath better and less likely to fail if so what paint would I finish with?

Cornish Lime Changed status to publish August 16, 2022